Burke Cup 
June 3, 2017, 2:00 pm
21 - 22
Waverley Oval
2nd Grade

Match Report

2nd Grade vs Waverley Round 6 – 3rd June 2017

Result: 22‐21 win

Tries: Tevita Veikoso, Tyler Harrhy, Lachlan Jackson
Conversions: Luke Battenbough 2
Penalties: Luke Battenbough

3 – Reuben Brock
2 – Corey Luyten
1 – Luke Fletcher

On a cold and windy afternoon in Bondi, against the other unbeaten side in the competition, the team ran into the wind and were dominating possession and territory through the forward pack.

Multiple breaks were made by the locks, Ed Kell and Reuben Brock, as well as prop Tevita Veikoso, however we were pulled short each time and couldn’t get over the line. Waverley used the wind to their advantage by kicking for the corners and managed to score a converted try in the corner to take a 7 point lead. They followed this up with another converted try after breaking through multiple poor tackle attempts in the midfield. We worked out way back into the Waverley 22m zone and were camped on their line for multiple phases before a knock on lead to the Waverley winger running 95m to score, giving the home team a 21‐0 lead at half time.

Having seen the affect that the wind had on the first half, fly‐half Luke Fletcher kicked superbly from our own territory and kept us at the Waverley end of the field. A rolling maul on their line resulted in a try in the corner to Veikoso. The team continued to poor on the pressure and scored another try from a rolling maul to hooker Tyler Harrhy, which was converted by scrum half Luke Battenbough. Replacement centre Lachlan Jackson was next to score as he received an offload from Veikoso and sprinted 50m to score under the posts for a converted try, which took the score to 19‐21.

A penalty goal with five minutes to play by Battenbough gave the team a slim 22‐21 lead and the team had to defend for the last five minutes to close out the tightest of wins.

This was an unbelievable comeback and showed the spirit within the team as every player put their bodies on the line to make sure we did everything possible to win. The forward pack and the halves combination were absolutely outstanding on the day, taking it to their opposite numbers and making excellent decisions throughout the match. It was hard to choose the outstanding players, however Reuben Brock and flanker Corey Luyten kept going at full pace throughout the whole game and Fletcher tackled everyone that ran at him and controlled the team, despite the difficult conditions. Four stitches in his forehead from a stray boot added to his list of accomplishments for the day.

We now have two weeks off before taking on Petersham, who will be looking to knock us off the top of the table.