Barbour Cup 
June 24, 2017, 12:45 pm
25 - 27
Drummoyne Oval

Match Report

Match Report 24.06.2017, Drummoyne 25 – Petersham 27

After two weeks of no match day rugby, the biggest challenge facing Drummoyne was going to be if they could keep building on the momentum they had created leading up to last game against Waverley. Unfortunately for Drummoyne they could not prevent Petersham getting off to a flying start in the opening 25 minutes which saw them concede three early tries.

The opening exchanges were very positive for Drummoyne which saw them hold onto the ball in the opening minutes in the Petersham 22 and go through multiple phases which led to an early try in the
corner. For the next 25 minutes, Drummoyne let Petersham run at them time and time again leading to Petersham dominating gain line. With Petersham running hard around the breakdown and getting good go forward ball, this eventually led to a shortage of numbers in the Drummoyne defence allowing Petersham to score two quick tries down the wings. Petersham continued to assert their dominance and soon scored a third try. Drummoyne simply could not rally themselves and Drummoyne supporters were fearing the worst. To the credit of the players they did pick themselves up and clawed their way back into the last ten minutes of the first half.

The second half started much the same as the end of the first half with Drummoyne playing far more cohesively in defence and imposing their way playing on the opposition. Drummoyne continued to pressure Petersham and they were soon rewarded with a well try after some good work by the forwards. With the tide of possession firmly turning in Drummoyne’s favour they continued to press scoring another well worked try through the forwards. Although the back line looked dangerous with ball in hand, Drummoyne could not quite put Petersham away and the Shammies hung in and started to throw everything at Drummoyne in the final ten minutes. Drummoyne defended magnificently on their own line to hold Petersham out but failed to find touch on a number of occasions allowing Petersham to keep the pressure on. Unfortunately, on the last ruck of the game, Drummoyne gave a penalty away in front of the posts for Petersham to win the game on the final whistle by two points.

Hopefully Colts have learnt that it is always going to be difficult to win a game after conceding so many points in the opening 25 minutes of a game. If these lessons can be learnt, and mixed in with the effort and quality of play displayed in the second half, Drummoyne will go a long way to hopefully avenging their first-round defeat to Colleagues next week.

Colts would like to thank Chris Read for helping out on the day. Some massive thanks go to Tristan Casey, Yanek Fochesato and Lachlan Jackson who played their last game for Colts on Saturday.

Unfortunately, we could not send them off on their overseas trip with a win. Their commitment to training and playing over the last 4 seasons has been a credit to them.

Best and Fairest

1 point – Kristian McKee, started his first ever game of rugby on Saturday. And in the front row to boot. Never went backwards and gave his opposite number a torrid time at the coal face

2 points – Michael Long, solid at the back and looked dangerous coming forward, constantly testing Petersham

3 points – Joe Puckeridge, Started his first game of the season at 9 after a long layoff from injury. After finding his feet early on, he went to score a try and was a constant thorn in the Petersham side